[CMake] EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH vs CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 4 09:55:05 EST 2008

Filipe Sousa wrote:
> Philip Lowman wrote:
>> Filipe Sousa wrote:
>>> I have been using EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH but I recently found that
>>> CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY can do the same. Is
>>> EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH going to be deprecated in 2.6?
>>
>> Does CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY affect where .EXE files get placed
>> or only DLL files?
>
> Not sure about windows DLL files, but there is also
> CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY and CMAKE_ARCHIVE_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY.

These variables are all just to initialize target properites with the
same names minus the CMAKE_ prefix.  The meanings are (informally):

  .exe = runtime
  .dll = runtime
  .lib = archive  (either import lib or static lib)
  .a   = archive
  .so  = library

This is documented with the target properties.  They have actually been
around for a year or so but I just got around to updating the
documentation of the old variables to point at them.

-Brad