[CMake] [Spam] Re: EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH vs CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar
Tue Mar 4 09:15:00 EST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 04.03.08 10:51:10, Gonzalo Garramuño wrote:
>> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>>> Brad just documented this a few days ago:
>>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake-commits/2008-February/003333.html
>>>
>> This is a pretty horrible and drastic change with no heads up.  Why was the
>> variable name change even needed?  I have tons of code already coded that
>> depends on those variables.
>
> So? There's nowhere stated that those variables go away, they are just
> deprecated and you shouldn't use them.

Well...  That's what deprecated is.  It means the variables may go away
or not work properly anymore in either a current or future cmake
version.  It also means they are no longer supported (bugs, etc).

> Apart from that that only applies
> to CMake 2.6, everythings fine if your projects require CMake 2.4.

Well, I'm using cmake 2.5 from SVN.  I'm trying to understand what does
the name change even accomplish?  If the renaming had been to make the
variables prefixed with CMAKE_*, I would understand it as a
consolidation with other cmake variables.  But as is, I don't get the
need for the change at all.

Also, from an API perspective, I find this hilarious:

ARCHIVE_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH, and RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

Either name them all DIRECTORY or PATH to be consistent.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar

AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E