[CMake] cmake community site

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Mon Mar 3 15:34:17 EST 2008

Hi everyone.

I've got a proposal for you all which I've been thinking about for a while.
Since cmake is now getting more and more widely spread, being used by people
for both small, casual projects as well as monolithic projects (e.g. KDE) it
seems like cmake itself, as well as the users of it could benefit from a
community site of sorts. In my experience with opensource projects, one of
the largest factors in how large a mindshare it has as well as how long it
manages to hold on to that mind share is how strong a community it has.

Now, this list is great; both for quick support as well as a direct line to
the developers (kudos to Brad, Bill and co. for that) and the wiki is good
for code snippets and extra documentation but I feel it could be better.

I'm looking to see what you guys on this list think about me starting up
a 'cmake community' site, possibly featuring the following:
 - News about releases
 - News about projects' success stories etc.
 - Simple beginner's tutorials
 - Tutorials about more specific tasks e.g. platform specific things (even
   when this isn't necessarily cmake specific)
 - A repository of Find*.cmake files including the ability to provide feedback
   to the module writer, such as improvements/patches
 - A repository of extra macros providing the same as the Find*.cmake
   repository
 - Discussion forums

So, what do you guys think? Is this sort of site wanted/needed? Is this list
and wiki enough and should our efforts be focused on them? I'd like to hear
your thoughts before anything is set in motion.

Finally, a little about myself: I've been using cmake ever since KDE first
switched across to it (thankyou Alex) both for all my own projects as well as
helping out a number of other projectsmore to a cmake system, particularly
for its Linux and MacOS support. I'm a Physics University student by day and
a KDE programmer by night.

Regards,
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com