[CMake] Re: Raven, Antwrap, Buildr

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 21:49:31 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  http://incubator.apache.org/buildr/
>
>  A review of Buildr
>  http://danielroop.com/blog/2007/08/25/buildr-review/#more-50
>  Says that Buildr is implementing a DSL for builds, it's not straight
>  Ruby.

Buildr is an Apache Incubator project.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BuildrProposal  It is intended to be
a drop-in replacement for Maven.  It is best to see it as a possible
future of the Maven build culture, emphasizing full lifecycle
management.  It probably rises or falls with Maven, not with its
choice of language.  At this time, penetration of Ruby within Apache
is limited.  Buildr is being used to build Apache ODE.
http://ode.apache.org/  The sources come in a 4MB .zip file; in short,
it's a medium sized project.  I don't think Buildr will prove anything
about advanced general purpose scripting languages.  It could prove
something about the wisdom of full lifecycle management in the Maven
style, if augmented with a scripting language.

The Raven author is listed as a contributor to Buildr.  Given the
quietness of the Raven community, I wonder if he's bowing to the way
the wind is blowing?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every