[CMake] CMake and Lua

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 19:08:16 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:59 AM, Sebastien BARRE
<sebastien.barre at kitware.com> wrote:

> Brandon wrote:
 >  >I'm willing to give Bill some time to think about the "undoability"
 >  >of CMake --> Lua translation
 >
 >  Great. And by "some time" you mean "someday", therefore "2 years",
 >  right.

 Your style of communication is counter-productive.  Here is where a
 notion of "2 years" fits into a sequence of events:

 1) Kitware contemplates the wisdom of adding Lua support.
 2) Kitware commits to Lua support.
 3) Kitware officially releases Lua support, proving their commitment is real.
 4) Brandon and/or others attempt to build CMake --> Lua translators.
 5) Brandon succeeds in writing a perfect CMake --> Lua translator and
 contributes the source.
 6) Kitware officially releases and supports the translator
 7) 2 years later, Kitware adopts "you must translate to Lua" as
official policy.

 We're still at (1).  I'm willing to drop discussion of CMake --> Lua
 translators for 3 months, to give Bill time to think.  *If* I don't
 hear defeatism on the subject.  For instance, the mood a few months
 ago was "Kitware can't support 2 languages."  At that time, I proposed
 automatic language translation because that way, you don't have to
 support 2 languages indefinitely.  I'm pleased that nowadays, Bill
 thinks that Kitware can in fact support 2 languages indefinitely.  I
 just see it as unnecessary.  Especially in open source, I think it is
 reasonable to make developers do trivial amounts of work to move on,
 at some point, if the migration tools have been thoroughly tested and
 proven in the field.

 Cheers,
 Brandon Van Every