[CMake] Building to a subdirectory UNDER Debug/Release/etc in a Visual Studio build

Timenkov Yuri ytimenkov at parallels.com
Fri Jun 20 12:20:34 EDT 2008

On Friday 20 June 2008 19:55:55 Mike Arthur wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2008 16:51:15 Timenkov Yuri wrote:
> > However, if you have complex deployment layout, you should prefer
> > installing your project and running from target location. Trying to make
> > in-source runs may be endless pain, while installing your project may
> > require couple of seconds each run, but saving much more time, because you
> > won't need to investigate why particular library is not loaded or loaded
> > from wrong place.
> Endless pain from in-source runs < Endless pain from Visual Studio developer
> harassment who aren't used to having to run "INSTALL" and want to just click
> the debug button...
I know, it's almost always a waste of time when you need to run something in addition to build. I'm working on a project which requires remote deployment and this sometimes takes a lot of time.

However, you can set INSTALL project as default one, and set Debug/Command property to path where your project will be installed. So, building and running project will require one click on debug button.

It's a matter of taste, and as David said, you can use add_custom_command.