[CMake] Building shared libraries for KDE app

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 31 10:55:28 EDT 2008

On 31.07.08 07:43:47, David Boosalis wrote:
> YOur right I did not do the export, I never suspected it as qmake was working just fine and I did not have to do a  export with it.  A bit of a hassle to go back and add this, to all my classes, wish KDE didn't use gcc vixibility feature.  I am sure they have a reason for implementing it.

The reason is simply that it hurts runtime if there are many exported
symbols that nobody can/need to use. A library often has tons of
internal classes and exporting all of them increases the time it takes
to load the library and it also increases the binary size I think.

Apart from that exporting only the needed classes/functions is something
thats been around for some years now and I think qmake also supports it
- its just not enabled by default there.

Andreas

--
You will reach the highest possible point in your business or profession.