[CMake] re-running cmake with different flags doesn't work

Werner Smekal smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jul 25 07:02:06 EDT 2008

Hi,

if you change cmake settings it's always best to delete the build
folder. So in your case:

cmake ../
make
rm -rf ../build/*
cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-g ../
make VERBOSE=1

should bring the desired results.

Werner

On 25.07.2008, at 10:29, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed that re-running cmake and changing -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
> doesn't work as one would expect. This claims to be rebuilding the
> makefiles, however after running a make clean and make VERBOSE=1 I
> don't
> see the flags being applied.
>
> To make this clear, what I'm doing is:
>
> cmake ../
> make
> cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-g ../
> make clean
> make VERBOSE=1
>
> And the -g flag is not there on the g++ line. Sample CMakeLists.txt:
>
> ,----
> | add_executable(foo main.cpp)
> `----
>
> Looking at the cache I can't see the -g flag there - except in the
> DEBUG
> versions where it always appears.
>
> Should I file a bugreport?
>
> Andreas
>
> --
> You'll be called to a post requiring ability in handling groups of
> people.

Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik
Technische Universitaet Wien
Wiedner Hauptstr 8-10
A-1040 Wien
Austria

email: smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
web: http://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~smekal
phone: +43-(0)1-58801-13463 (office), +43-(0)1-58801-13469 (laboratory)
fax: +43-(0)1-58801-13499