[CMake] FW: cmake newbie questions

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Jul 23 22:40:02 EDT 2008

Phil Smith wrote:
> Um, right.  Cut&paste misfire, hit SEND instead of PASTE.  The error:
>
> ---------------------------
> CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:32 (MESSAGE):
>   The C compiler "C:/Program Files/Dignus/dcc.exe" is not able to compile a
>   simple test program.
>
>   It fails with the following output:
>
>    Change Dir: c:/SD/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp
>
>   Run Build Command:C:/PROGRA~1/GnuWin32/bin/make.exe "cmTryCompileExec/fast"
>
>   C:/PROGRA~1/GnuWin32/bin/make.exe -f
>   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
>   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build
>
>   make.exe[1]: Entering directory `c:/SD/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
>
>   "C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/bin/cmake.exe" -E cmake_progress_report
>   C:/SD/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
>
>   Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj
>
>   cd C:/SD/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp && "C:/Program Files/Dignus/dcc.exe" -o
>   CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj -c
>   C:/SD/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c
>
>   The system cannot find the path specified.
>
>   make.exe[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj]
>   Error 1
>
>   make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `c:/SD/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
>
>   make.exe: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2
>
>   CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   CMakeLists.txt:16 (project)
>
> (Press  Cancel to suppress any further messages.)

I think it does not like the make you are using.   Do you have cygwin
installed? If so, you might want to try this make:
http://www.cmake.org/files/cygwin/make.exe
Just put that on top of the normal cygwin make, or just in the bin
directory of cygwin.   There are some other places to get make, but it
looks to me like you are using one that does not like quoted paths.
Also, note cmake does not know anything about dcc, so you might have to
create some platform files for cmake.

-Bill