[CMake] cmTryCompileExec.exe crashes CMake 2.6

Carl Trapani carl at skytopsoftware.com
Sun Jul 20 17:06:54 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a buildable VTK 5.0.4 Eclipse CDT 4 project using
CMake 2.6 and the Eclipse CDT4 - MinGW Makefiles generator. I ran
CMakeSetup.exe by clicking on the Start Menu icon. I selected the
following source and build directories:

C:\projects\vtk\vtk-5.0.4-src
C:\projects\vtk\vtk-5.0.4-build

I hit the configure button and get a "stopped working" dialog with the
following details:

----BEGIN APP CRASH INFO----------
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    cmTryCompileExec.exe
  Application Version:    0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    488388cd
  Fault Module Name:    mingwm10.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.0.6000.16386
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4549bdc9
  Exception Code:    c0000135
  Exception Offset:    00008fc7
  OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    9d13
  Additional Information 2:    1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
  Additional Information 3:    9d13
  Additional Information 4:    1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
------END APP CRASH INFO------------

I select "Close the program", but CMake continues to configure. I
accepted the values by hitting Configure again and then hit Ok to get a
buildable project. A Warning message is displayed and then the program
exists (no successfully built message?). But, when I try and import the
Eclipse project, I get errors.

I've got MinGW 5.1.4 installed with the following components as
indicated in the installed.ini file:

----BEGIN MinGW installed.ini --------------------
[settings]
mirror=
installtype=current

[components]
runtime=mingw-runtime-3.14.tar.gz
w32api=w32api-3.11.tar.gz
binutils=binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1.tar.gz
core=gcc-core-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz
gpp=gcc-g++-3.4.5-20060117-3.tar.gz
g77=
ada=
java=
objc=
make=mingw32-make-3.81-20080326-2.tar.gz
---END MinGW installed.ini---------------

I'm running Vista.

Can anyone offer some advice or suggest alternatives? I'm going to try
the Visual Studio 2008 generator next. Maybe that will work?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you might have.
Carl Trapani