[CMake] static libs and more

Alin M Elena alin.elena at qub.ac.uk
Thu Jul 17 15:00:15 EDT 2008

Hi,

1. Few days ago maybe weeks on the list I have seen a discussion about
static/dynamic linking.

One of the solution proposed there to achieve a static linking was

if (UNIX)
  set(CMAKE_FIND_LIBRARY_SUFFIXES ".a;.so")
endif(UNIX)
Something similar can be done for windows I suspect.

Maybe you can add an extra argument to find_package(... USE_STATIC)
and internally in FindXXX.cmake to use it to find the correct linkage. Just an
idea.

2. I read in one post that intel was interested in cmake, fortran and Visual
Studio.
Having the connections with them you could ask them if they may be interested
in cmake and MKL. Just a thought as linking against mkl (pure layered
versions) may be quite a pain for a new user.

Alin
 "...if the universities will not study useless subjects, who will?"
                           G. F. Fitzgerald, Nature, 45/46, 392 (1892)
Mr. Alin M. ELENA
Atomistic Simulation Centre
School of Mathematics and Physics
Queen's University Belfast