[CMake] Patch: Add NO_CACHE option to find_xxx commands

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Mon Jul 7 15:06:05 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Enrico Scholz wrote:

>>> Better wolution would be the equivalent of autoconf's './config.status
>>> --recheck', e.g. reinvoking cmake with empty cache but with original
>>> configuration options.
>>
>> This is not what we want. We want to keep the cache variables since
>> the user might have changed it in the gui.
>
> No; it is exactly what you want.  Just store the original configuration
> (e.g. 'cmake' commandline or items entered into the GUI by user) somewhere
> and rerun 'cmake' on it with an empty cache.

Maybe I'm missing the point, so please explain how this would work
with the current cmake work flow.

Note that CMake stores the items entered or modified by the user (via
command-line with -D or via the GUI) in the cache. CMake doesn't know
where these cache values came from (e.g., manually by the user or
automatically with a find_xxx commands).

So when we store the original configuration we're storing the cache.
Now, this is definetely not what I want. What I want is the ability to
use find_xxx search capabilities without requiring the variable used
to store the result becoming a globaly cached result.

--Miguel