[CMake] Visual Studio and Windows Mobile SDKs

Clemens Arth Clemens.Arth at gmx.at
Fri Jul 4 04:04:53 EDT 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 09:31:13 +0200
> Von: "Andreas Pokorny" <andreas.pokorny at gmail.com>
> An: "Clemens Arth" <Clemens.Arth at gmx.at>
> CC: cmake at cmake.org, a.neundorf-work at gmx.net, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>
> Betreff: Re: [CMake] Visual Studio and Windows Mobile SDKs

> Hi there,
>
> 2008/7/4 Clemens Arth <Clemens.Arth at gmx.at>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > here's a short progress report. I've now managed to get my project
> compiled with
> > Visual Studio 2008 with and without support for Windows Mobile 5 SDK; I
> basically
> > managed that by compiling cmake from scratch, introducing a new
> proprietary
> > generator into the sources
> (cmGlobalVisualStudio9_WindowsMobile5_Generator).
> > Finally, this was necessary just to get a rather simple thing done,
> namely setting
> > the platform name to the SDK name instead of "Win32".
>
> Is any setting from the toolchain file then applied to the project
> configuration?
> What is the SDK name in this case?
> Would it be possible to read the SDK name from the toolchain file, or
> maybe
> a list of SDK names?

ad 1) Yes, all the settings from the WINCE config files are applied. Anyway, I think the one and only reason to use the toolchain file at all is to configure the platform to use your WINCE platform files as configuration files instead of the normal Windows-cl files. Setting up the project does not work without using the toolchain file, although all the project files are built correctly if I omit passing the -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE stuff to cmake. However, because there are special compiler settings and flags which are configured only in the WINCE platform config files, they are not included in the project files and, thus, compilation and linking fails.

ad 2/3) In my case the SDK name would be "Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK (ARMV4I)"; alternatively, it might be "Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK (ARMV4I)" or "Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK" something for WM6, but anyway, I can only use one at a time as it is with "Win32" and "x64", the name is hardcoded into the generator file. I think, it might be possible to work around the hardcoding and use some additional parameter to set the name in a more "generic" generator (maybe reading the available SDKs from the registry and passing it). However, the major problem is still the lack of capabilities of the current versions to configure VS to work with different platforms simultaneously.