[CMake] OpenSceneGraph Find Modules

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:53:38 EST 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 3:09 PM, Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva <miguelf at ieee.org> wrote:

> I don't think this carries the bias you present. The idea is not to
> force the user to have all packages installed if they are optional.
> The module should only fail if a *required* package is not found. If
> the SDL module was poorly designed in that sense, then it needs some
> enhancements.

Indeed the Chicken SDL package did need such enhancements.  But they
were not performed, because in the real world it's extra
implementation labor to chase the changing components around.  As you
say, the problem is solvable in principle.  In practice, whether it
gets solved depends on the level of energy of the FindOSG maintainer.
In this thread we've heard that he feels a bit, ah, overwhelmed by the
scope of OSG, so I have my doubts that a monolithic FindOSG is going
to function correctly over time.

Perhaps the answer is for you and others to join forces with him so
that it isn't 1 person being overwhelmed by the gruntwork.  Chicken
SDL packaging didn't improve much because the people who did tend to
use it were Linuxers, and nobody wanted to be saddled with sole
responsibility for the needed improvements.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every