[CMake] CMake on Linux + Playstation 3 (IBM Cell BE processor)

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:44:23 EST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 10:00 AM, Christian Convey <christian.convey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 9:15 AM, Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 31 December 2007, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > >
> > > I would assume that Linux tool ports just use the PowerPC core.
> > > Getting the 8 SPE cores to be utilized is quite an extension of scope
> > > and rather application specific.  I would say you should handle those
> > > with ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND,
> >
> > Yes.
> > The SPE cores are also programmed in C, aren't they ?
>
> GCC supports SPE code generation, presumably as just another back-end.
>  So I imagine that any language in the GCC suite works for SPEs.

The problem is, the last I looked you had to go through elaborate dual
linker dances to get PowerPC code and SPE code to talk to each other.
I don't know if the tools have gotten better to pave that over, I
haven't been tracking PS3 tool maturity.  But this is what I meant
when I said "quite an extension of scope."  Expecting CMake to handle
the SPE linker specifics may be asking for quite a lot, whereas I'm
willing to bet that PowerPC only code works right now.  Can you tell
us what the actual PowerPC + SPE linking situation is nowadays?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every