[CMake] CMAKE_C_COMPILER ignored

Volker volker at openbios.org
Tue Jan 1 09:24:26 EST 2008

Am Dienstag, 1. Januar 2008 14:42:49 schrieben Sie:
> Volker wrote:
> > Hi and a happy new year to everyone.
>
> And to you.
>
> > I'm new to cmake and using it on a cross compile project (i386 linux ->
> > arm linux)
> >
> > Somehow CMAKE_C_COMPILER in my CMakeList.txt is ignored.
>
> [...]
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#I_change_CMAKE_C_COMPILER_in_the_GUI_bu
>t_it_changes_back_on_the_next_configure_step._Why.3F
>
> You need to set the compiler *before* the first time you run CMake on a
> build tree, by setting environment variables.  After the first run,
> those variables need not be set (and will be ignored, actually); CMake
> will remember the compiler choice from then onward.
Setting the env vars CC and CXX did the trick.

But i don't see the use of the CMAKE_C_COMPILER variable. Setting this seems
to have no effect at all. I removed everything related to cmake (except said
CMakeList.txt) from my build-tree and my source-tree. *Then* i ran a clean
cmake.

So i figure the compiler to use can only be set via enviroment vars or by
editing CMakeCache.txt after running cmake. (??)

But how does this SET( CMAKE_C_COMPILER ....) work? I saw it in several
examples on google searching for CMAKE_C_COMPILER.

Cheers
....Volker