[CMake] Removing cmake as a dependancy

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Fri Feb 29 15:06:46 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Kevin Tucker <ktucker at birdstep.com> wrote:

>  I have some example programs that are shipped with our sdk and would like
> to maintain support for VC6 and various VS200x project files.  Cmake
> obviously does a great job of generating these project files. However, as an
> additional simplification for the end user, I would like to avoid them
> having to install cmake to be able to compile.  Looks like I can just remove
> the ZERO_CHECK, INSTALL, PACKAGE projects from the solution and things are
> pretty well set.
>
> Is there an option in cmake for it to leave itself out of the
> projects/makefiles that it generates?

You could use CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION to suppress running CMake but
that's not going to get you the ability to avoid having the user install
CMake to be able to compile your CMake generated projects.

For technical reasons (which I'm sure are discussed at length in previous
posts) CMake uses absolute paths in generated Makefiles / VCproj files (have
a look at a generated one).  Unless your target audience is going to have an
identically configured machine (down to the location of the source and
binary directories and dependent libraries) OR you're planning on trying to
modify CMake generated VCproj files before the user attempts compilation,
they are most likely going to need CMake.

--
Philip Lowman