[CMake] CMake and Lua

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Feb 29 08:12:15 EST 2008

James Mansion wrote:
> Sebastien BARRE wrote:
>> Again: *deal*.
>> February 29th, 2010 *precisely*.
>> Special CMake/Lua day, the 29th.
> That will indeed be a very special day.
>
> Shame really. I like Lua, and I find that the CMake script language
> seems designed to make COBOL coders feel they don't actually
> have the worst job in the world.

So what exactly about the CMake language gives you this feel?

> And a SWIG based wrapping of the C++ code would surely
> allow extension of the core in 'soft' languages too, so that
> generators could be develeoped and so on too.

But if we did that would we have a binary that that had all the
"wrapped" languages?   CMake is meant to be a build tool, and not a
toolkit library.  There are already adoption issues because you have to
install CMake before you can do a build.  Imagine how much worst it
would be if you had to pick the right language variant of CMake before
you could build a package using CMake.  I love SWIG and language
wrapping and it makes sense for a library of visualization or computer
vision tools.  However, in the case of a build system it would be a
tower of babel.

-Bill