[CMake] CMake and Lua

pepone.onrez pepone.onrez at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 16:48:46 EST 2008

I have testing CMake as my build system for medium sized proyects  and i
view that change to a tiny scripting instead of CMake macros can be good.

For example in my project. i need stuff for compile other things that are
not out of the box supported by CMake, for example antltr files for generate
gramar lexers, templates files from various tools ,  IDL for diferent
vendors, ui files for diferent vendors. Write this as MACROS is tedious and
you end writting more lines that needed with a scripting language.

Current cmakes macros are good for doing simple things, because you can do
this things easy as a few  lines of code more times.

Also i think that core a scripting must be separate layers i don`t view and
extra cost for this and it simplifies the process of add a new scripting
language or migrate to a new one.

Also a c++ plugin interface can be desirable for realy complex things, for
example i view that CMake suport http out of the box, but other proyects
must need integrate with other protocols, Ok this are really coner case that
can be simplified easy with a python script, but seems mision imposible to
do such a thing in CMake.

if ITS modularize more the core of CMake and make the arquitecture more
plugable  the proyect can grow faster with the help of the comunity that can
write modules for do other things not suported out of the box.

This is the scenario i view for a winner build system in the open source
community.
--
Bests for CMake,
José Gutíerrez