[CMake] CMake and Lua

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Mon Feb 25 15:18:46 EST 2008

Quoting Peter Kümmel <syntheticpp at gmx.net>:

> Ken Martin wrote:
>> In VTK and ITK we did design a language independent toolkit and wrapped it
>> into Tcl, Python, Java etc so we have done that and have a good feel for it.
>> But for CMake I do not think it is a good idea for a couple reasons. One is
>> fragmentation of the community/support.
>
> Every time this fear of fragmentation/forks.
> Should we really care about it? I don't know.

You are plain wrong assuming more languages to choice are good when in
fact that choice is bad and harmful.

If CMake allowed 10 scripting languages, it would effectively mean any
CMake user needs to learn those 10 languages to be able to use CMake.
Any one of those 10 languages a CMake user does not know, it means
some module, or CMakeLists.txt, he cannot understand/improve/fix.

One Language to rule them all, One Language to find them, One Language
to bring them all and in the compiler bind them.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org