[CMake] General questions

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Feb 24 16:48:53 EST 2008

On 24.02.08 16:27:47, Yang Zhang wrote:
> >> - Can cmake auto-infer libraries based on #includes + a DB of
> >> header-to-library mappings?
> >
> > Not sure. I'll let the cmake developers answer that one.
> >>
> >> - Can cmake generate autotools inputs (for POSIX-portable
> >> preferably-GNU-compliant packaging)?
> >
> > CMake is a _replacement_ for AutoTools but NOT make. CMake will generate
> > a system specific MakeFile for the system it is run on. The Makefiles
> > are NOT portable across systems unless those systems are EXACT MIRROR
> > COPIES of each other. Running cmake is the same as doing ./configure in
> > an autotools project.
>
> I'm aware of this, but I was wondering if cmake can generate autotools
> inputs so as to create POSIX-portable preferably-GNU-compliant packages.

That doesn't make sense. CMake projects are portable, without the need
for intermediate autotool buildfiles. Really CMake and autotools do the
same thing, just that autotools are not doing it very well.

The idea is that you're going to have cmake installed on your target
systems, not autotools. You don't need autotools anymore.

Andreas

--
Your love life will be happy and harmonious.