[CMake] Re: CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and DESTDIR

Fernando Cacciola fernando.cacciola at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:57:54 EST 2008

Hi Mike,

> I don't understand. If the "user" wants to have a destination other
> than the default provided by CMake, why don't they just run ccmake/
> cmakesetup and set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to what they want?
>  CMake generated project files/makefiles can only be used on the
> system they were generated on so I am confused about your use case.
>
> Could you please explain in some more detail your use case for this
> and I bet we can find a solution for you.

Never mind...

I expected DESTDIR to be used to *completely define* the folder where the
libray is intalled, overriding the system-dependent default location decided
at configuration time, but I just realise that this not the way DESTDIR
works (with or without cmake).

So I just need to document that if a user want to use DESTDIR in that way
(for example to install the library in multiple places), he must reset
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX accordingly.

I also just realized now that one can reset that variable in the cache and
type "make install" right away without reconfiguring by hand since "make
[install]" processes the cmake script, it's not just a static makefile.

Best

Fernando