[CMake] CMake Feature list

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:06:51 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:

>  http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Really_Cool_CMake_Features

This is really important (good idea Bill) so I linked it as the 1st
item under "Primary Resources."  In other words, almost the very 1st
thing you'd look at on the wiki.  I figure, rather than expecting
people to just download CMake and start playing with it, it would be a
good idea to give them a feature list, so that they become interested
and actually download.  I also redrafted the introductory statement to
sound more confident and professional.  It would be good to sort the
list as time goes on.  An unsorted list will do for now, but we don't
need to be calling attention to the fact that it's unsorted, that
sounds amateurish.  I think the feature list is already adequate as a
pitch.  It can be improved, but by putting it front and center in
people's minds, it is likely to improve faster.

The intro now explicitly directs people to extend the list.  I hope
you all can live up to the standard of enumerating features that make
CMake "a joy to program with."  :-)  That word "joy" is certainly a
two-edged sword, but I suggest we keep it for now and see it as the
mission statement.  Can we craft a feature list that actually
justifies and validates the use of the word "joy?"  That appears
professional and not a pile of self-inflated malarky?  Even if some
cantankerous yet well-informed soul takes issue with the word in the
sense of, "Oh JOY" (not), the feedback can only stimulate the CMake
community and increase CMake's notoriety.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every