[CMake] converting VS projects to CMake

Sylvain Benner benner at virtools.com
Sat Feb 9 07:32:38 EST 2008

> Training and mastery is often perceived as taking too long though.  I
> think CMake would be a lot better off if it could say, "Hey presto
> here are some results!"  Enough to make people realize that their
> conversion isn't hopeless and imponderable, that all they really have
> to do is dive in and clean up the translation output.

That's a good point, it can be a tool for training and learning CMake
but if the converted projects files does not work it can also be
unmotivated.

Maybe it is better to talk about an export tool instead of a conversion
tool. Conversion implies it should work after conversion, if it does not
work I probably delete this tool from my system.

Instead, reduce the work to some basic helper tools specialized in one
or several tasks and proposing a strong customization of the output is a
better choice and will definitely help the new comers in their learning
curves and migration steps.

--Sylvain