[CMake] 4th Edition CMake book now in stock

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Feb 5 18:49:39 EST 2008

On 2008-02-05 17:08-0500 Brandon Van Every wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2008 4:28 PM, Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I looked at that site, and there was no mention of an electronic (PDF)
>> version.  I far prefer that format since it is friendlier to trees, takes up
>> no space in my office, is much easier to search, and I can adjust the size
>> of the text when my eyes get tired.
>
> Here's to dead trees!  They rest my eyes, they carry to any physical
> location I wish.

Brandon, I can visualize you strongly arguing for the quill pen when the
first printing presses came out.  :-)

>> If you are concerned with short-term money rather than long-term promotion
>> of CMake and the potential money that might come from that, then you will
>> probably want to distribute an electronic version of your book with reduced
>> user freedom. I think such a restricted version would be acceptable so long
>> as at minimum the user was free to make backup copies for their own use.
>
> My opinion is that Kitware doesn't need to provide the entire book in
> an easily pirated medium.

Please think of what real piracy implies (rape, murder, looting, slavery)
before using the term so casually.  Of course, Hollywood and the RIAA likes
to use such overblown terms for use of any of their products in any way they
don't like (whether legal or not), but that doesn't mean you have to ape
their misuse of the language.

I think what you really meant to say was "an easily copied medium", i.e., an
electronic format.  However, my opinion is it is a bad business choice for
KitWare to ignore the electronic book market for this book, and I would like
to hear what they have to say about that since that is likely the only
format in which I would buy this book.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).