[CMake] CMake's Dependency Scanner - Disabling?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Dec 30 10:26:39 EST 2008

Naram Qashat wrote:

>> However, this seems a risky thing to do, as keeping your depends
>> up-to-date will be difficult.  As long as none of your users complain
>> on the CMake mailing list about things not rebuilding when they
>> should, I guess that is your problem... :)
>>
>> -Bill
>
> I tried to do include_regular_expression("^$") from the root
> CMakeLists.txt but that didn't stop the dependency scanner.  I even
> tried to put it in every CMakeLists.txt and same thing.  Then I tried to
> set the string between ^ and $ to something ridiculous that would never
> match anything in our source tree, but it still didn't work.  Now, I'm
> not sure if it's just displaying the "Scanning dependencies for
> <target>" line regardless of if it's actually doing any scanning, but
> from first glance it seems like it still is doing the scanning. So there
> really is no way to disable the scanner then?

There is no way to disable it, (as I said).  However, setting the regex
to something that matches nothing should keep the run time very very
quick.  You should look at the depend.make files in your build tree and
make sure they are pretty much empty.  I don't think actually disabling
it would save you much more time.

-Bill