[CMake] CTest return value in the case of an build error

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Wed Dec 10 13:26:18 EST 2008

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Clinton Stimpson wrote:
>>
>> +1 for this. I ended up having to parse the xml files myself, as I
>> couldn't find an easier way to get the info I wanted.
>> I submitted a request for this.
>> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=8277
>>
>> I was trying to use ctest as a replacement for a non-portable shell
>> script that did nightly testing.
>>

> All of the commands have RETURN_VALUE...
>
> ctest_build(..  RETURN_VALUE val)
> ctest_update( ..  RETURN_VALUE val)
> ctest_test(..  RETURN_VALUE val)
> ctest_configure(..  RETURN_VALUE val)
>
> It is in the documentation for the commands...
>
> Is that what you want?
>
> -Bill

 From testing those commands, it appears they only return error if the
attempt to do the operation failed, not if the operation itself had errors.
I couldn't get if the build failed from ctest_build() using the VS 2005
generator (I got a 0 for build failures and build success).  I also
couldn't get the number of test failures from ctest_test().  I need that
information so I can decide whether to package up some binaries and do
something with them.

As for the documentation at
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/ctest2.6docs.html
For ctest_build() it say, "Builds the given build directory and stores
results in Build.xml."  It doesn't say anything about the return value,
but in experimenting, it returned -1 if it couldn't start the build
process, and 0 for anything else.
For ctest_test() it says "Tests the given build directory and stores
results in Test.xml. The second argument is a variable that will hold
value."  Valuable, or has a value?  :)  But what values can I get back
from it?

Clint