[CMake] cmake and sun workshop compiler.

George Neill georgen at neillnet.com
Tue Dec 9 10:23:54 EST 2008

Bill,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> George Neill wrote:
>>
>> Hi CMakers,
>>
>>   I'd like to use cmake with the Sun cc/CC compiler on linux.   What
>> do I need to change to make this work?
>>

> Put them in your PATH.  Then set CC=cc, CXX=CC and run cmake.

It looks like it's picking up the gcc/g++ flags.

gneill at hardy:~/test$ cat CMakeLists.txt
PROJECT(test)

ADD_EXECUTABLE(test1 t.c)
ADD_EXECUTABLE(test2 t.cpp)

gneill at hardy:~/test$ cmake .
-- Check for working C compiler: /home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler:
/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/cc -- works
-- Check size of void*
-- Check size of void* - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler:
/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/CC
-- Check for working CXX compiler:
/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/CC -- broken
CMake Error: The C++ compiler
"/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/CC" is not able to
compile a simple test program.
It fails with the following output:
 /usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gneill/test/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report
/home/gneill/test/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles 1
Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCXXCompiler.o
/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/CC    -o
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCXXCompiler.o -c
/home/gneill/test/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCXXCompiler.cxx
Linking CXX executable cmTryCompileExec
/usr/bin/cmake -P CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/cmake_clean_target.cmake
/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/bin/CC         -fPIC
"CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCXXCompiler.o"   -o
cmTryCompileExec -rdynamic
CC: Warning: Option -fPIC passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
CC: Warning: Option -rdynamic passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored otherwise
/home/gneill/Desktop/sse/sunstudioceres/prod/lib/ld: bad -rpath option
make[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gneill/test/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
-- Configuring done

TIA,
George.