[CMake] Search paths for FooConfig.cmake files

Jose Luis Blanco jlblanco at ctima.uma.es
Tue Dec 9 08:39:50 EST 2008

Hello CMake developers!

I've been thinking it would be interesting that CMake could look for
FooConfig.cmake package files in some likely paths such as C:\Program
Files\Foo-XXX\ . This is for Windows, of course, but perhaps could be
extended to /opt/foo-XXX/ in Unix systems.

I've written a patch for this task:

I know the order in which directories are searched IS an issue, and I
decided it's place seems to be between these two paths:

=================
4. Search the standard system environment variables. This can be skipped
if NO_SYSTEM_ENVIRONMENT_PATH is passed. Path entries ending in "/bin"
or "/sbin" are automatically converted to their parent directories.

   PATH

5. Typical instalation paths. For now this only applies to Windowsfor
the paths that match the following pattern (where <name> iscase
insensitive):

  ${ProgramFiles}/<name>* (W)

6. Search project build trees recently configured in a CMake GUI. This
can be skipped if NO_CMAKE_BUILDS_PATH is passed. It is intended for the
case when a user is building multiple dependent projects one after another.
=================

I'd be glad of seeing this feature in future releases of CMake, so
please let me know if anyone see any compatibility problem in this patch
and how to deal with it.

Best,
JL

Jose-Luis Blanco-Claraco      Phone: +34 952 132848
Dpto. Ingenieria de Sistemas y Automatica
E.T.S.I. Telecomunicacion       Fax: +34 952 133361
Universidad de Malaga
Campus Universitario de Teatinos
29071 Malaga, Spain

http://www.isa.uma.es/jlblanco