[CMake] CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES and 4-way universal binaries

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Dec 8 20:28:17 EST 2008

Hi all,

With 2.6.2, when I do 'C'onfigure, CMake gives me:

 CMake Error at /Applications/CMake 2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/
Modules/CheckTypeSize.cmake:89 (MESSAGE):
   CHECK_TYPE_SIZE found different results, consider setting
   CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES or CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to one or no
   architecture !
 Call Stack (most recent call first):
   Utilities/kwsys/CMakeLists.txt:456 (CHECK_TYPE_SIZE)

If I ignore it, things seem to be OK, but this has been bugging me for a
while now.

After conferring with Mike Jackson, it turns out that if I change what I had:

SET (CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES "ppc;ppc64;i386;x86_64" CACHE STRING "Rogue")

SET (CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES "ppc;i386;x86_64;ppc64;" CACHE STRING "Rogue")

the error goes away.  It surprises me that the order should be important.

I know what CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES is, but what is
CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES?

What's going on?

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com