[CMake] Question about install()

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:07:58 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Hendrik Sattler <post at hendrik-sattler.de>wrote:

> How do you link against them if you do not know the name? Do you use
> that special auto-linking feature of MSVC?

You specify them as library dependencies on the command line. For the import
libraries, I simply use target_link_libraries() in CMake.

Well, it's obvious that boost library naming sucks a lot. I know that
> you cannot do anything about that.

This has nothing to do with boost. This is a very common way of labeling
import libraries and their corresponding shared libraries. A typical
approach is this:

library_d.lib <-- Debug library
library.lib <-- Release library

I don't see any issue with this. This is required in order to tell them
apart so that one may link against the appropriate library. Of course I
would not distribute the debug versions, which I think is where you're
confused. When I distribute my application the user is only responsible for
ensuring they have the release versions of those libraries.

Again, how do you link against those libraries?

See my answer to your first question.