[CMake] Question about install()

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 14:42:54 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Michael Jackson <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
> wrote:

> #------------
> project(test)
> SET (CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/Bin
>  CACHE PATH
>  "Single Directory for all executables"
>  )
> message(STATUS "CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY:
> ${CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY}")
>
> Then I ran cmake 2.6.2 on that CMakeLists.txt file and I get the following:
> -- CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY: /Users/mjackson/Desktop/test/Build/Bin
> -- Configuring done
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to: /Users/mjackson/Desktop/test/Build
>
> Odd yours does not print anything out. Can you run the above short
> CMakeLists.txt file and see what gets output? Also is this what you are
> looking for or did you want to copy external libraries into the build
> directory?

Of course yours will print something, as you're clearly setting the variable
right above your message() call. I'm printing it without setting it first,
as I do not want to change the output location of my binaries. The default
should be ./Debug or ./Release, depending on the configuration. Yours looks
like it will place both release and debug executables in the same directory,
which I do not want. How do I get the default output location for my
binaries?