[CMake] cmake 2.6.3 RC 5

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:08:08 EST 2008

2.6.3R5 behaving a little strangely on one of my test projects.

I have a program that generates cpp files from some input file.  My program
also outputs a dependency file which I parse into a CMake readable format.
The basic setup creates a cmake script using configure_file with all the
commands to build my cpp and dependency files.  A custom target executes the
cmake script during build.  Also during configuration the dependency file
that was generated by the build tool is included into CMake to define source
level dependencies.

I'm using VS 2005 32/64 on WinXP 64.  VS is set to build projects in
parallel.

In 2.6.2, this problem doesn't appear.

In 2.6.3R5, if I hit rebuild some of the tools would start to complain about
missing files as CMake starts to regenerate stuff in the middle of the build
(or end of the project compilation).  This only happens sometimes.

If I do a clean followed by a build it works just fine.

This is output from a project that completed successfully:
Building Custom Rule C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/src/CMakeLists.tx
CMake is re-running because build system is out-of-date.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/build-64
Compiling...

Output from a project that failed
Building Custom Rule C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/src/CMakeLists.txt
CMake is re-running because build system is out-of-date.
CMake Error: Could not open file for write in copy operation
C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/build-64/src/cuda/test_generated_test_bin.cu.cpp.cmake.tmp
CMake Error: : System Error: Invalid argument
CMake Error at CMake/cuda/FindCUDA.cmake:609 (configure_file):
  configure_file Problem configuring file
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMake/cuda/FindCUDA.cmake:685 (CUDA_add_custom_commands)
  src/CMakeLists.txt:21 (CUDA_ADD_EXECUTABLE)
CMake Error: Could not open file for write in copy operation
C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/build-64/src/cuda/cuda_compile_generated_test_bin.cu.cpp.cmake.tmp
CMake Error: : System Error: Invalid argument
CMake Error at CMake/cuda/FindCUDA.cmake:609 (configure_file):
  configure_file Problem configuring file
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMake/cuda/FindCUDA.cmake:709 (CUDA_add_custom_commands)
  src/CMakeLists.txt:44 (CUDA_COMPILE)
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred! Project : error PRJ0019: A tool
returned an error code from "Building Custom Rule
C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/src/CMakeLists.txt"

Another:
Building Custom Rule C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/src/CMakeLists.txt
CMake is re-running because build system is out-of-date.
-- Configuring done CMake Error: Unable to open check cache file for write.
C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/build-64/CMakeFiles/cmake.check_cache
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Building Custom
Rule C:/code/CMake-cuda-staging/src/CMakeLists.txt"

I'm guessing there is a race condition involving the cmake state that wasn't
there with the last release.

I can share the project I'm working on, but you would need a NVIDIA card
that supports CUDA and the CUDA toolkit.

James