[CMake] Building out of source

Sam Baker sam.baker at bigfishgames.com
Fri Dec 5 13:22:22 EST 2008

I have a folder for project files only (everything that CMake creates).
To build to that folder I just run cmake from that folder.

I have:

cpp/project_files/tools

cpp/project_builds/tools

cpp/source/tools

The CMakeLists.txt is in cpp/source/tools.

I run CMake from cpp/project_files/tools and specify ../../source/tools
as the last command line argument to CMake so that it gets the
CMakeLists.txt from the correct folder.

It puts all project files in project_files/tools and incidentally all of
my install targets go to cpp/project_builds/tools using the CMake
command line argument
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:STRING="../../project_builds/tools"

Sam