[CMake] Why does dependency scanning in version 2.6 seem so slow?

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 15:25:07 EST 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008, Senanu Pearson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a way to speed up the dependency scan in version 2.6?
>
> I recently installed a new Linux OS (Mandriva 2009) which included an
> upgrade to cmake 2.6 (I _think_ I had version 2.4 before). However, when

If I remember correctly, I think in some 2.2.x version the dependency scanning
got slower, but since then has been optimized again (may have been related to
the makefile generator version 2 or 3).
So maybe if you updated from 2.0 there would be a slowdown, from 2.4 there
shouldn't be.

Patches to speed it up would of course be welcome :-)
But I'm afraid that won't be very easy.
Maybe it could be multithreaded to scan multiple files at once ?

Alex