[CMake] Why does dependency scanning in version 2.6 seem so slow?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:00:16 EST 2008

2008/12/3 Senanu Pearson <senanu at myrealbox.com>:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is there a way to speed up the dependency scan in version 2.6?
>
> I recently installed a new Linux OS (Mandriva 2009) which included an
> upgrade to cmake 2.6 (I _think_ I had version 2.4 before). However, when I
> run make (after running "cmake .") it takes a long time (>1min) to do the
> dependency scan. (i.e. the time when the message "Scanning dependencies of
> target foo" is printed) whereas the rest of the build takes about 10
> seconds. This happens every time I run make but it does successfully build
> (and the "cmake ." step is fast).

I did not experienced such slow down when going from 2.4 to 2.6
would you be able to try a CMake 2.4 on the same system?

You may

1) download a tarball
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.4/cmake-2.4.8-Linux-i386.tar.gz
2) untar it somewhere,
3) update you path
4) retry the build.

> The odd thing is that it was almost instantaneous (with essentially the same
> code) under version 2.4 and is almost instantaneous on a (faster) mac
> (again, with the same code).

CMake is not the only thing which have changed then:

   - system
   - compiler  --> this may be important.
   - disk speed, cpu, ..;

--