[CMake] How to automate cmake installation on windows

David Genest david.genest at ubisoft.com
Tue Dec 2 11:38:30 EST 2008

>>Is there a way to run the cmake windows installer without user
>>intervention? I did not find any documentation on the subject. I would
>>like to be able to install from a script. What is the best way achieve
>>this ?

>One way would be to create an MSI installer for CMake using a tool like
Wix.  Then you >could install CMake unattended using "msiexec" at the
command prompt, or deploy it >automatically across machines in an Active
Directory.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiX

Philip,

While doing more research for my question, I discovered another option.
Since CMake creates it's installer with NSIS, I went to their
documentation (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.12)  and
found that there is a way to silence the installer by specifying /S
switch on the command line. You can also add /D "install destination" to
install at a specific place.

There is also an option to read an options file or command line
parameter. I wonder if the CMake installer could be configured to
support these. I would use it to tell CMake to add itself to the path,
which is disabled by default.

David.