[CMake] Automatically listing source files with GLOB (Re: How to make FILE() append to the list of files?)

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Mon Dec 1 11:18:42 EST 2008

David.Karr at L-3COM.COM schrieb:
> The reason for my choice at that time was user acceptance.  I had a
> brief window of opportunity to introduce a new build system based on
> CMake, which did not give me time to train all the developers in CMake
> before deploying it.  One of the first objections I received was that
> it was "much harder" to add, remove, or rename source files in CMake
> than via the Visual Studio interface.  So I made it a "pushbutton"
> process: the developer just had to run a script named something like
> MakeWorkspace.bat.

When the decision to change the build system for whatever reason, just
tell your developers to not complain about it. Tell them to live with it
_POINT_. At least if the complaints are only personal habits that can
easily be changed with some good will.
It's not some cryptic language, after all.

> Besides the project developers themselves, I also had users who needed
> to be able just to build the project without doing any development on
> it.  I actually got in trouble with those users on account of the one
> directory where I had listed the source files individually instead
> of "globbing" them.  The problem was solved when we "globbed" that
> directory too.

They change nothing on the project? Why would the source file listings
be a problem for them, then?
Well unless they added something, so they actually _are_ doing
development on it.

HS