[CMake] CMake single rule instead of multiple

Praveen Kannan pkannan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 15:34:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am a newbie to CMake and I am very impressed by this tool.

There is one thing that I am a bit concerned about.

I used a sample Qt 3 based project to evaluate CMake and used the FindQt3
package to do my work. Works great! However under Visual Studio 2005 I do
end up seeing many CMake rules to convert the ui file to .cpp and .h and a
separate set of rules for generating the moc_*.cpp files.

My questions are:
1. Is there a way to generate a single rule for the entire file set of UI
and use it?
2. What will be the downside of having so many rules?

The reason for my concern is as follows. Now I want to start writing macros
that will transform a file from one format to another for some custom
language that we have in our product. Lets say that the input is of *.abc
and the output is *.xyz. Now in our system we have over 10,000 such files
and if that macro ends up generating over 10,000 rules what will be the
impact on the underlying build system (i.e. Visual Studio or gmake)? And how
different will it be from having a single rule?

By the way, I am using CMake 2.4.8 on Windows XP and RHEL 4.

Thanks and Regards,

--
Kannan