[CMake] FindBoost.cmake updated on the bugtracker

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 18:16:15 EDT 2008

On 05.04.08 21:37:43, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 05.04.08 14:13:14, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> >> Does it have to be 100% backwards compatible to be accepted?
> >>

> > It would be a big plus.  I really hate to break peoples builds without a
> > good reason.  Both FindMPI and FindCurses had to be fixed for backwards
> > compatibility recently.  Is it not 100% compatible?
>
> Not 100% as I said in an earlier mail, it won't set Boost_LIBRARY_DIRS
> variable anymore if one doesn't specify a boost library to use. So yes
> builds that do something like
>
> find_package(Boost)
> link_directories(${Boost_LIBRARY_DIRS})
> target_link_libraries( foo -lboost_serialization-mt )
>
> >  If not, can it be  made to be?
>
> Yes, though I consider that quite a hack as its not sure that
> Boost_LIBRARY_DIRS really contains the libraries (it just assumes a
> layout where the include directory is include/ or
> include/boost-<version> and then replaces that with lib/ (or stage/lib
> on MacOSX).
>
> Though I guess a big fat warning about missing library arguments is
> better than completely failing to run cmake?

Done, except for the warning. I realized that some people may just
search for the include directory and in that case a warning is not
really suited.

See FindBoost_v7.cmake on http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6257
for the latest version, which should be completely compatible to the 2.4
version.

BTW: Would be cool if mantis would allow deleting/replacing files.

Andreas

--
Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply.