[CMake] Interresting dependency problem

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Sep 27 15:53:36 EDT 2007

On 27.09.07 12:31:31, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-09-27 20:10+0200 Hendrik Sattler wrote:
>
> >Am Donnerstag 27 September 2007 schrieb Félix C. Morency:
> >>The use of
> >>pkgconfig is prohibited, just like shell scripts and env. variables. The
> >>solution has to be as portable as it can be (win32, linux, macosx, etc.)
> >
> >pkgconfig _is_ portable. It works on all the mentioned platforms, AFAIK.
>
> To reinforce Hendrik's point, http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/ has the
> following to say:
>
> "pkg-config works on multiple platforms: Linux and other UNIX-like operating
> systems, Mac OS X and Windows. It does not require anything but a reasonably
> well working C compiler and a C library, but can use an installed glib if
> that is present. (A copy of glib 1.2.8 is shipped together with pkg-config
> and this is sufficient for pkg-config to compile and work properly.)"

No it doesn't work properly on win32 - AFAIK. Thats the reason why all
cmake FindXXX modules for KDE4/win32 don't use pkgconfig. I'm not sure
wether it was about the paths in the .pc files or something else, but
fact is that pkconfig is unusable in _plain_ win32 (without msys, which
I think creates problems when using cmake).

And a link from the pkgconfig website claiming it works properly is not
really a proof ;)

Andreas

--
Things will be bright in P.M.  A cop will shine a light in your face.