[CMake] build types

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Sun Sep 23 15:10:52 EDT 2007

forgot to cc the list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva
Date: Sep 23, 2007 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [CMake] Re: build types
To: Christian Buhtz

On 9/23/07, Christian Buhtz wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
> > You can't. You specify the build type during cmake-time, using
> > -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug|Release|... And thats quite ok
>
> So I need to create makefile like this:
> makefile_release.gcc
> makefile_debug.gcc
> makefile_xx_yy_whatever.gcc
> ?

The only thing you will be creating is a CMakeLists.txt file. Then
when you run cmake on that file it will generate your makefile. So
make sure you can do this before you continue.

Also, you should be doing out-of-source builds. That is:

.../source
.../builds/debug
.../builds/release

then all you need to do is:

cd .../builds/debug
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../source

cd .../builds/release
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../../source

Note that this is assuming you are using unix makefiles and gcc. If
you use Visual Studio, then it keeps your debug and release files in
separate directories, so the following should do it.

cd .../builds
cmake .../source

Now, the one thing you should understand is that you do not need to
create any makefile manually, cmake will create it for you!! That is
the whole purpose of its existance.

--Miguel

--
Miguel A. Figueroa Villanueva