[CMake] Re: diff to bakefiles

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Fri Sep 21 09:01:41 EDT 2007

On Friday 21 September 2007 08:34, Christian Buhtz wrote:
> Mathieu Malaterre schrieb:
> > CMake is the most similar to Bakefile from these. It generates
> > semi-native makefiles -- while the makefile is for the native make
> > tool, it still requires presence of CMake during compilation. Bakefile
> > has no such requirement.
>
> You mean if I generate a MinGW-makefile (e.g. makefile.gcc) from a CMake
> -makefile I can not use it with MinGW alone (mingw32-make -f
> makefile.gcc)? I need to have installed CMake?
> Why? What is the technic behind it?

cmake does the dependency scanning and rules for rerunning cmake are included
in the makefiles. It may also be possible that custom commands have been
inserted which execute cmake in script mode e.g. to copy files. This is the
most portable way, if the makefiles were created by cmake you can rely on the
fact that cmake is around, while all other tools differ on different systems
(e.g. cp vs. copy).

> > CMake also does (auto-)configuration
>
> This time I don't know If I need something like this for my project. ;)

Also ok.
Simplest cmake file:

add_executable(hello main.c)

Bye