[CMake] Project being (unnecessarily) relinked

Dizzy dizzy at roedu.net
Fri Sep 14 03:02:59 EDT 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 15:08:30 you wrote:
> Thinking out of the box, here is one way I solved this problem. Say
> your first project builds a library Foo. Then install that library in
> what ever location you want to install it. Then set an environment
> variable "FOO_ROOT" that points to the top level install directory.
> So typically you would install things in /usr/local/ (on a unix
> machine), then "make install" should put libFoo.a in the "lib"
> directory in /usr/local. That was all part 1.
<snip>

> This type of setup will solve the "use absolute paths" where possible
> that Bill Suggested. Not sure if it will solve the linking problem
> though..
>
> Hope that helps explain some things.

What you are sugesting solves the problem for installable libraries (which
were installed in a previous to "cmake time", the time where FIND_LIBRARY()
runs). Problem with "convenience libraries" of a project is that they have
not been built already when cmake runs for that project (so FIND_LIBRARY
cannot find them). Using full paths to them (by using of CMAKE_BUILD_DIR and
such variables) seems unportable (or maybe I miss something).

Thanks for the sugestion.

Mihai RUSU					Email: dizzy at roedu.net
GPG : http://dizzy.roedu.net/dizzy-gpg.txt	WWW: http://dizzy.roedu.net
			"Linux is obsolete" -- AST