[CMake] MinGW broken on Vista

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:16:47 EDT 2007

If you try to run CMakeSetup with MinGW on Windows Vista, and you get
a screenful of errors including a line:

gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory

it's not you and it's not CMake.  MinGW's gcc 3.4.5 is fundamentally
broken under Vista.  I've been chasing around the mailing list
archives and it looks like it won't be officially fixed until MinGW
ships gcc 4.2.0.  Unofficially, you can get a patched set of driver
files.
http://dessent.net/tmp/gcc-vista-3.4.5-20060117-1.tar.gz
YMMV as to how well they work.  They do get me past the "cannot exec
cc1" problem but I don't have any other experience with them so far.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every