[CMake] CMake2.5 - wrong default install location for mingw

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Oct 23 12:52:27 EDT 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
>> OK, now this is more what I was asking for.   If autotools based
>> projects in msys install into /usr/local by default, then maybe CMake
>> ones should as well.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, this is Autotools' problem.  CMake should
> pursue no slavish strategy with regards to Autotools.  Only strategies
> that actually result in Autotools projects getting converted to CMake
> projects.  I've made known my political views on that!  It's mostly
> about working with people who are ready to move on and willing to make
> changes.
>
>> I think I am going to post to the msys mailing
>> list and get some input from those folks.   My reason for not wanting to
>> use /usr/local was that msys states that it does not want to become a
>> cygwin, but rather just a tool so that you can build autotools projects
>> under msys.
>
> Last I checked a couple of years back, the MSYS developers were
> surprisingly hostile to autotools.  Don't wade into their mailing list
> saying "MSYS is for running autotools" unless you want to seek
> offense.  I believe I checked into this when you and I were having
> this very argument awhile ago.  And I conceded, having previously been
> of the /usr/local mindset, because of what I found on the MSYS list.
> It will be interesting to see what you determine *at present*.

OK, I am officially moving this discussion to the msys mailing list.  If
anyone is interested in this, please join the mingw-msys mailing list here:

The initial response on that list in favor of keeping CMake the way it
currently is.  There is an interesting discussion on the pros/cons of
setting c:/msys/usr/local as an install prefix that happened Sept 2007
on that list.

Here is the initial response to my inquiry:

 > See, for example, this detailed discussion:
 >   http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-What%27s-a-%22MSYS-app%22--p12899758.html
 > of the problem it solves, and of issues it may create.
 >
 > I'd suggest that CMake not do extra work to support a default
 > that's likely to be overridden, especially because the most
 > common idiom for overriding it isn't universally optimal.

If anyone wants to argue for/against CMake defaulting to /usr/local then
do it on the msys mailing list.

Thanks.

-Bill