[CMake] Trouble with CMake + Eclipse + SVN/CVS

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Wed Oct 17 14:46:19 EDT 2007

On 10/17/07, Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2007/10/17, Pau Garcia i Quiles:
> > After reading those threads, I have been able to make
> > scenario A (out-of-tree build) work with a bit of manual work.
> >
> > I am trying to modify the Eclipse generator to perform the changes
> > automatically and will provide a patch.
>
> I welcome your patch and will be pleased to give it a try.

Obviously, the help in developing and testing is appreciated, but for
the particular problem in question the patch is required for the
Eclipse plugin. There are a few things that need to be worked on in
the generator that can be of great help, but I'm not sure that
.project/.cproject in the source directory is the right solution. More
below...

> 2007/10/17, Mike Jackson:
> > I agree that there are some conflicting philosophies here. I am a bit
> > more practical about this. I just need to get my work done.
>
> I agree with that too.
> I'm pretty sure it's a very good point for CMake to smoothly
> support a great CDT4 generator.
>
> My comment was about the fact that the buggy behavior
> of the CDT4 Generator for CVS enabled project should
> not be seen as CDT4 generator's fault.

Exactly, the bug is in the Eclipse plugin... CMake is just too
powerful for it ;)

> I am ok with the fact that CDT4 generator should
> put it's (.project/.cproject) ouput inside source tree.

I'm certainly not, but I'm only the author of the CDT4 generator not a
CMake developer ;)

I really don't think it would be appropriate to do this, however it
might be a reasonable compromise to have an option to generate the
files in the source dir even for an out-of-source build. But the
default should be the CMake way, since this is what is expected by
users.

> May be a "Warning" message may be shown at the end of
> the generation in order to make it clear?
>
> What is the opinion of CMake Dev Team concerning that issue?
> Would this kind of patch be acceptable?

Again I'm not in the CMake Dev Team, so I can't answer this. However,
I firmly believe that the .project/.cproject need to be created in the
binary directory (e.g., myapp-build). That is not to say that you
should stop doing something that works fine for your case, but in
general I encourage out-of-source builds and definitely CMake should
not generate files outside the binary directory (note that if it's an
in-source-build the binary and source are the same, but that is the
user's choice and not a CMake imposition).

What I would really like to do is to make eclipse projects support a
set of cvs/svn sources that are outside the dir where the .project is.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to work on this and
don't know how open are the eclipse cdt developers to these changes.

That being said, I'm interested in solving any problems that arise
with the CDT4 generator and am willing to go through the patches and
test them. I also attend to all bugs submitted through the bug
tracker. And I certainly appreciate any effort in making the generator
better.

Just my 2 cents,
--Miguel