[CMake] ctest timer question

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Oct 17 13:28:39 EDT 2007

Nope. This is the right list..... (Or you may want to try the Dart mailing
list if this does not answer your question...)

If you look at the source in "CMake/Source/CTest/cmCTestTestHandler.cxx" you
will find where the "Execution Time" NamedMeasurement xml element is emitted
into the Test.xml file that gets submitted to the dart server. This time is
measured by CTest when it runs your test, and includes launching the
executable and waiting for it to finish...

If you want to include measurements of your own design in the dashboard
results for your test, you can emit "DartMeasurement" xml fragments in your
test's output, and ctest will include those as NamedMeasurement xml elements
in the Test.xml file.

Something like this, for example, in your test output:
<DartMeasurement name="MyMoreAccurateTiming" type="numeric/double">0.03434
</DartMeasurement>

The code that transforms those xml fragments can also be found in
cmCTestTestHandler. I do not know if all measurements of this type show up
as entities that get graphed on the dashboard web pages, but I do know that
they show up when viewing an individual test's result page.

Good luck,
David Cole