[CMake] ADD_SUBDIRECTORY() / windows path

George Neill gneill794 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 23:59:04 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am relatively new to cmake, thanks for the cool product ... I have have
fun using it so far.  I have ran in to a problem, on windows xp,  with
relative out-of-source builds.

C:\DOCUME~1\GEORGE~1\Desktop>cmake -version
cmake version 2.4-patch 7

Here are the commands I have been using to build my project

cmake -G"NMake Makefiles" ..\project
nmake

For some reason the path is -different- upon use of the ADD_SUBDIRECTORY()
function.   I have searched through the archives and found a couple of
conversations about something similar, but not quite the same.
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2007-August/015641.html.

It appears the ADD_SUBDIRECTORY() call is somehow getting the
scrunched 8.3names; and I imagine is what causes cmake to fail.

The error I am getting.

"C:/Documents and Settings/George Neill/Desktop/project/test" is not a
subdirectory of "C:/DOCUME~1/GEORGE~1/Desktop/project".

I was able to get around it by just specifiying the full path to my source
code.  But I am now wondering if I am using CMake wrong, or is this just a
bug?

TIA,
George.