[CMake] Getting CMake to run on OpenVMS

Alan Antonuk antonuka at msu.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:26:53 EDT 2007

Getting closer - got over what I think are most of the issues involving the
HP C-RTL and the differences between Unix and OpenVMS pathnames.  Two issues
up next:

1. The OpenVMS version of the fork() syscall (a.k.a., vfork) doesn't have
the same semantics as the Unix/Linux version of fork.  The big difference
being OpenVMS fork does not actually fork off into a new process until
exec*() is called.  This means the two threads are operating in the same
address space until that exec*() function is called (see
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/5763/5763pro_014.html).  Only place
this is an issue is in the kwsys/ProcessUNIX.c in kwsysProcessFork and in
kwsysProcessCreate

Is there any reason that there may be some issue with this?  I believe that
the way the code is structured that this won't cause an issue, but I'm not
100% sure in that assertation.

2. When running cmake I'm now getting this error message:
Error processing file:/CMAKE_BIN/Bootstrap^.cmk/InitialCacheFlags.cmake
CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "Unix
Mak
efiles".  CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.  You probably need to select a
differen
t build tool.
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:/CMAKE_SRC/000000/CMakeFiles/CMake
CCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be
 built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:/CMAKE_SRC/000000/CMakeFiles/CMake
CXXCompiler.cmake
CMake Error: CMAKE_C_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
-- Configuring done

Suggestions as to where to start tackling this second issue?

-Alan

--